Ingredients of Chicken Tikka Masala Rice:
For the marinade:
- 1 tbsp tikka masala
- 1 tbsp curry paste
- 150 gm yogurt
- 2 chicken breasts,cut into 5-6 large chunks
- salt to taste
For the Sauce:
- 1 tbsp tikka masala curry paste
- 1 onion,finely chopped
- 200g pasta
- 200ml light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp yogurt
- A handful of coriander leaves,chopped
For the fragrant rice:
- 100g basmati rice
- salt to taste
- 5 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- A pinch of saffron
How to make Chicken tikka Masala Rice:
To make the marinade:
- Mix the curry paste, yogurt, chicken and salt together, cover and leave overnight in the fridge to absorb all the delicious flavors.
- Preheat a conventional oven to 220ºC or a fan-assisted one to 200ºC.
- Wipe the marinade off the chicken and place, piece by piece, onto a baking tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until slightly charred, but not cooked through.
- You are just trying to get some colour here because the chicken will finish cooking in the curry sauce.
- Set the tikka chicken aside while you make the sauce.
- Heat the curry paste in a saucepan.
- Add the onion and sweat slowly over a low heat for five to eight minutes or until the onion is translucent and soft.
- It is important to take the time to do this slowly because the onion will then release its natural sugars, producing a sweeter dish, but be careful not to do this over too high a heat because the curry paste will burn.
- Add the pasta and coconut milk and bring to the boil.
- Turn down the heat and add the tikka chicken.
- Cook over a low heat for five minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Finish by stirring through the yogurt and coriander.
To make the fragrant rice:
- Add the rice, a pinch of salt and the aromatics to a pan and cover with enough water to come 1cm over the top of the rice.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for eight minutes, covered.
- The rice should have absorbed almost all of the water, but still be a bit wet.
- Remove from the heat and leave to absorb the remaining water for 10 minutes, covered.
- Remove the cinnamon stick before serving with the curry.
- Chicken Tikka Masala Rice is ready to serve.